During October I Will.....

And......


Wednesday 2 March 2011

Homemade Tomato Soup

Last year I started a series of blog posts about easy cooking for working parents.  I personally did continue to cook homemade meals for my family as I always have done but the blogging of the recipes sadly dropped off due to the pressures of being a working Mom and all that comes with that.  I am hoping to re-start these posts but plan to do a couple of posts a month as opposed to committing to every week.

This week I am showing you a wonderful simple recipe for homemade tomato soup.  I really cannot tell you where this recipe came from as I have been making it for years.  I remember fondly my student days when we made huge pans of this for the whole house of 6 and it cost very little yet filled us up.

Ingredients

1 tin of chopped tomatoes
stock cube (chicken or vegetable)
squeeze of tomato ketchup
3 slices of bread (great for using up stale bread)
Splash of cream or milk


This will feed a family of four.  I have made double the quantity here as we will be having it for lunch and as a starter tomorrow night.

Method

Pour tomatoes in pan
Fill the can with water twice and add to pan
Crumble stock cube into the pan

Dudley-20110302-00030.jpg

Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes

Cut crusts of the bread and cut or break up into small cubes
Add the bread to the pan, stir and simmer for another 15 minutes

Dudley-20110302-00032.jpg

Blend the soup
Return to the heat and simmer for further 5 minutes



Add small amount of cream or if none in the house or prefer low fat version add a little drop of milk

Dudley-20110302-00035.jpg

Serve & enjoy!

Dudley-20110302-00036.jpg


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...